Everyone has their own shepherd’s pie recipe and everyone makes it in a unique way. The key for most of us however is to create a delicious yet low calorie shepherd’s pie recipe that isn’t time consuming. Don’t let the long ingredient list scare you; this recipe is easy to make and as a 1 pot dish it makes a perfect weeknight dinner.
- 2/3 cup whole milk, warm
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. each salt & black pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 lb. ground beef, lean
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, warm
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and add onion, thyme, garlic, rosemary and long ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper into a skillet.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add beef to skillet and brown.
- Sprinkle beef with flour then add mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire and tomato juice.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add in mixed vegetables.
- Transfer skillet mix to a 9-inch baking dish.
- Stir mashed potatoes vigorously with milk, butter, garlic, salt and pepper until fluffy.
- Spread over meat and bake for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.
|Serving Size 1 square|
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily|
|Total Fat 17.4g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 7.3g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
- 31 minutes of circuit training.
- 27 minutes cross country running.
- 54 minutes playing golf.
Burn off the calories in 1 serving of homestyle shepherd’s pie by:
- Do this: Use extra lean ground beef instead of lean ground beef and use reduced fat milk instead of whole milk. Use butter substitute rather than butter.
- The result? 297 calories per serving of shepherd’s pie.