Looking for a nontraditional way to warm up when it’s cold outside? Consider this shrimp bisque recipe. It’s an easy to make bisque recipe that will warm you up and satisfy your appetite. The best thing of all is that you can make needed adjustments to reduce the calories as you see fit!
- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cups butter
- 1/2 lbs. medium shrimp
- 1 pound onion, chopped
- ¼ cups butter
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 oz. brandy
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, warm
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 dashes, Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 qt. seafood stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ¾ cup butter and flour.
- Stir constantly until mixture is the color of peanut butter, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add seafood stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- In another large skillet over medium high heat cook onion, ¼ cup butter and shrimp shells until onions are cooked through.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, paprika and cook until brown.
- Stir in brandy and light it on fire with a long matchstick. Let simmer until mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in stock mixture and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain through sieve and return strained mix into saucepan.
- Add heavy cream until warmed through then add shrimp.
- Simmer 5 minutes, adding hot sauce, Old Bay and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir to combine and add sherry just before serving.
|Serving Size 1 bowl|
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily|
|Total Fat 38g||59%|
|Saturated Fat 22.9g||115%|
|Trans Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.3g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6%|
- 80 minutes of leisurely cycling.
- 34 minutes on the stair machine.
- 25 minutes rollerblading.
Burn off the calories in 1 bowl of shrimp bisque by:
- Do this: Use 4 cups of fat free half & half instead of heavy cream.
- The result? 303 calories per serving.