Making a hearty soup can mean much more than your standard vegetable soup. Take advantage of the abundance of squash available during fall and winter and jot down this acorn squash recipe that features 3 types of squash. The curry and apples add layers of flavor to this soup that make it a meal unto itself!
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, seeded & halved
- 1/2 small spaghetti squash, halved & seeded
- 2/3 cup sherry
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 acorn squash, seeded and halved
- 1 tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tart green apples
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place squash on baking sheets, cut side down and roast for 45 minutes or until flesh is tender.
- Scoop out the flesh of squash into a big bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter then sauté onion for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, curry powder and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in apples and sherry and simmer for 10 minutes until apples are soft.
- Place the squash flesh and broth into a food processor in batches and run until smooth. Transfer to large saucepan.
- Add apples and sherry mix to food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add apple/sherry mix to squash and turn heat on medium.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed and add cayenne pepper.
- When warmed through, serve.
|Serving Size 1 bowl|
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily|
|Total Fat 6.6g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3.7g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49.5g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.3g||45%|
- 24 minutes of moderate stationary cycling.
- 52 minutes of bowling.
- 22 minutes of rock climbing.
Burn off the calories in 1 bowl of roasted acorn squash soup by:
- Do this: Use 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil rather than 3 tbsp. of butter.
- The result? 249 calories per serving of acorn squash soup.