Naturopath and nurse, Roni DeLuz writes about her detoxification program in her book titled 21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Detox Diet. Described as a”safe and 100% natural healthy detox,” DeLuz’s detox plan could help you to lose 21 pounds in a 21-day period.
This is a pure liquid diet, consuming at least 120 ounces of fluid every day in order to rid your body of toxins so you can rev up your metabolism and lose weight.
DeLuz has three principles to follow: Rest, Reduce and Rebuild. First you must learn to REST your jaw muscles by consuming only liquids for the 21 days. Next you will REDUCE the amount of toxins in your body by following the program and finally you will REBUILD your body to shed unwanted pounds.
During the plan you will be drinking liquids every two hours. Those liquids can come from water, herbal tea, vegetable-based soup, or the author’s green, veggie or berry drinks. The general breakdown of your daily consumption will look like this:
- 40-48 oz of water, 32-40 oz of herbal teas,
- 16 oz of veg-based soup and,
- 32 oz of green, veg or berry drinks.
Absolutely no alcohol or caffeinated beverages during the detox. The juices and soups are made from fresh fruits and vegetables such as spinach, kale, collard greens, cucumber, carrots, celery, green beans, berries and lemons. You can also use herbs and spices to jazz up your drinks and soups like ginger, garlic and no-salt seasoning.
As part of DeLuz’s program you are expected to supplement with digestive enzymes, aloe vera and an herbal cleansing formula. Also (if you can afford it) treat yourself to lymphatic drainage massages, cellulite treatments, gallbladder and liver flushes, kidney cleanses, body wraps, detox baths and weekly coffee enemas and colonics (sounds like fun!).
After the 21 days are over, you will gradually reintroduce solid foods back into your daily meals so you don’t shock your system. A daily protein powder supplement is recommended along with vegetables, soy milk 3 to 4 ounces of salmon and 1 cup of nonfat yogurt. DeLuz recommends that you complete a yearly 21-day detox along with a 7-day seasonal program and weekly weekend cleansings.
Some recipes that are provided in the book are:
- Asian Spinach Soup
- Curried Vegetables
- Creamy Broccoli
- Spicy Beans
- Cucumber Onion Dressing
- Gingered Carrots
Physical activity is recommended with approval from your physician but limited to walking, trampolining, yoga and the use of a chi machine.
- The book provides recipes along with client testimonials.
- Juices provide vitamins and minerals.
- One of the pitfalls of this detox program is you will definitely be peeing a lot. Make sure you have a bathroom nearby for when you have to make a run for it.
- This diet is low in calories at only 1,000 calories a day and severely lacks in protein (only 20 grams per day), healthy fats and fiber.
- There is no benefit for consuming liquid meals; it is better to eat whole foods and get the necessary fiber.
- This plan has plenty of side effects including dizziness, fatigue, lightheadedness, low blood pressure, and gallstones (if you still have your gallbladder).
- Rebound weight gain can also happen from any diet that restricts calorie intake like this one.
- Quick weight loss is a result of losing water weight and muscle mass. You do not want to lose muscle which is difficult to build back up again.
- This program can get quite expensive will all the recommended supplements and spa-like treatments.
- The best detoxifying method is your own bodily organs specifically your kidneys and liver.
If you are healthy, doing a 1 or 2-day liquid fast is not going to be detrimental to your health. Going for longer periods of time can lead to muscle wasting and lower your metabolism.
Although strictly following this diet can become quite expensive, getting started with the book 21 Pounds in 21 Days won't cost you much. Click the title here Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox to get your book now.